Saturday 2 May 2015

Yorkshire Days 2 and 3 - The Wharfe and Pale Wateries

After fishing with Danny I headed up to Ilkley to meet up with some guys from Invicta FFC. I recently joined having been invited to join one of their winter programme evenings, an excellent talk by Steve Cooper of Cookshill by Norman Shippey who I met at the Rutland Fly Fair. This was my first outing with Invicta.

We fished the Bolton Abbey stretch of the Wharfe. Oscar Boatfield joined us on the first day to give the members some instruction on french nymphing techniques which was new to many. It was helpful to have some tips from Oscar especially on a larger river where a longer line is needed; not somewhere I've use a french leader before. 



The water temperature was noticeably lower than the smaller rivers I'd fished the day before. Around 6C according to the river keeper and he reckoned we'd pick up a few fish but it wasn't going to be easy.

As we set up there was some discussion about fly choice.


I was surprised at the weight of the flies Oscar recommended but he proved to be right of course and the jig back nymphs I had tied over the winter proved ideal alongside a large PTN with a 3mm bead head.

In the morning Peter Oldham and I made our way downstream to fish whilst the other 4 had some instruction from Oscar to get them started. Both Peter and I had used a french leader before so we let those who hadn't have some instruction first. I was quite keen to get on with it too having had a late start due to traffic on the A1.

We fished a lovely pool which was wide enough for us to fish side by side and each work a different bubble line. About half way up the pool and shortly after Peter had reminded me that I needn't be polite and wait for him to catch the first fish, my indicator darted away and my rod bent into a good sized grayling. This was quickly released.

A few metres further along the indicator stopped and I struck into my first Wharfe brown trout. I was pleased and surprised to get such early success.

First Wharfe Brownie
First Wharfe Brownie
It wasn't long before Peter was in on the action too as he struck into another grayling.

Peter plays a grayling
Peter picked up a further trout from this pool before we wandered back to join the other for lunch. They were still occupied so we went upstream and found a couple of nice pools to try for half an hour before they stopped for lunch.


There was a sparse hatch of LDOs coming off and I did see a couple of fish rise but it was short lived and so I persisted with the nymphs. I took a further trout and another grayling from this pool.


Peter had a good grayling in the next pool along too. 

We stopped for lunch after that. Unfortunately the afternoon proved much more tricky, apart from a few missed takes I had nothing to show for my efforts the rest of the day. I didn't mind really as I'd already caught loads of fish the previous day so it was nice to relax and explore. I walked quite a long way upstream after lunch to see what lay ahead for the next day. Great pool and riffle sequences are ten a penny on the Bolton Abbey water, loads to go at and a good stamp of fish.



Not many fish were caught at all in the afternoon, but it was pleasing that all in the group managed at least one fish in the day.

I was looking forward to day two but unfortunately I was struck down overnight with food poisoning and there ended my trip. I didn't miss much apparently as the fishing was even harder the next day with most blanking. Not much consolation when you're dealing with entirely the wrong kind of pale wateries.

I can't complain though, what a fantastic few days in Yorkshire. I'm going back in early June too...

No comments:

Post a Comment